Event ZOOM Link
- Tuesday March 22, 2021 | 2:30 - 3:30 pm (Vancouver)
- Meeting ID: 631 9889 5621
- Passcode: 521521
About the Speaker
The food industry is brimming with innovation and creativity. IP protection may foster technological advancements and create business value. IP protection may also encourage agricultural productivity and enhance collaboration between the private and public sectors. This seminar aims to introduce the main types of IP protection and explore IP opportunities and challenges relating to the food industry.
Jayde Wood is a two-time LFS alumna. She conducted research on antimicrobial resistance, phylogenetic grouping, and DNA fingerprinting of food-borne microorganisms. Now, she uses her food science background to help local and multinational clients with all aspects related to IP. Jayde is an intellectual property lawyer at Oyen Wiggs. She has a law degree from the University of British Columbia and is currently pursuing a Master of Law degree in Law and Technology from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law. Her practice focuses on the strategic creation and development of IP assets, particularly patents, industrial designs, and trademarks. Jayde also assists clients with licensing, co-development agreements, and IP due diligence. She has worked with a variety of clients, including those in the life sciences, food processing, and consumer products sectors.
- Trade Secrets 101 (Links to an external site.)
- Netflix docuseries – the future of meat, explained
- Short publication by CIPO about Plant Breeders’ Rights – https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cipointernet-internetopic.nsf/eng/wr04589.html (Links to an external site.)
- Patent protection example - Monsanto Canada Inc. v. Schmeiser, 2004 SCC 34: https://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/scc-csc/en/item/2147/index.do (Links to an external site.)
- CIPO Industrial Design database - https://www.canada.ca/en/services/business/ip/databases.html (Links to an external site.)
- Please search for industrial design registration Nos. 155547, 174046, 151023, 84994
- CIPO Trademark database - https://www.canada.ca/en/services/business/ip/databases.html (Links to an external site.)
- Please search for trademarks owned by Pepperidge Farm